Wednesday 4 June 2014

Argentina book haul

A little over a week ago I got back from Argentina. I had an amazing time and met lots of lovely people from all over the world. Ofcourse I also bought some books, seven in total. It was a pain trying to figure out how to pack my suitcase and backpack in a way that they wouldn't surpass the weight limit at the airport, but I managed ;). (Though I did give some books that I had brought to Argentina to one of my housemates there)

The first book that I bought in Córdoba was Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) by J.K. Rowling. I read the Dutch translation of this book over and over again so I know the story really well. I always find it a lot easier to read a book in a language that I'm not fluent in if I am familiar with the story. For example I read The Hunger Games in Swedish, after I read the Dutch translation, and that worked out really well. It was easy to keep track of where the story was going and I learned a lot of new Swedish words without constantly having to look them up.
The second book that I bought was Boquitas pintadas (Heartbreak Tango) by Manuel Puig. I bought this book from an older man at a market. He didn't speak any English so I tried to ask in my best Spanish (which was at the time pretty much non existent) if he had any books by an Argentine writer. He had a couple, but recommended me this one because it was one of his favorite authors and this was one of his books that was a little easier to read if you don't speak Spanish very well. It was great to see how passionate this man was about books and I loved how we managed to have a very lengthy conversation despite my lack of Spanish speaking skills. A couple weeks later I saw him again at the same market and bought El Alquimista (The Alchemist) by Paulo Coelho from him.
El Principito (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry I bought together with Los Días del Venado (Days of the Deer) by Liliana Bodoc at a bookstore and I planned for them to be the last books that I would buy during my stay. I read The little Prince both in French and in Dutch so I'm familiar with this story as well and it is very easy to read in another language, while still being entertaining. Los Días del Venado is the beginning of a fantasy trilogy by an Argentine writer and I ended up buying the other two books as well (Los Días de la Sobra (Days of the Shadow, not translated into English as far as I know) and Los Días del Fuego (Days of the Fire, not translated into English either as far as I know)). I just loved the cover of the first book and wanted to have them all with matching covers :) .

2 comments:

  1. Reading books you already know in another language is a great way to help you learn the language better! Hope you had a great time in Argentina!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy Days of the Deer, I loved it even though it was very odd fantasy! I've tried to find out if they're intending to translate the other 2 books into English but so far the publisher has never replied. I studied Spanish at school & university but I don't think I'm up to reading it as well any more :(

    ReplyDelete